Basic Structural Firefighting Course
The Basic Structural Firefighting Course teaches firefighters the skills and knowledge required by the demanding challenges of firefighting procedures. The modern approach to training includes more realistic scenarios to increase the skills of the participants. The course consists of theoretical sessions in the classroom, enhanced by practical “hands-on” training. The curriculum of the course has been developed based on several national standards within the European Union.
Training participants, equipped with appropriate firefighting gear and appliances, will experience the following scenarios:
- nozzle techniques,
- smoke reading and fire development,
- live fire observation with application of basic extinguishing techniques,
- live fire attack scenario,
- small scale flame attacks,
- moderately complex structural fires.
What will participants learn?
On completion of this course, airport firefighters will be able to:
- - understand fire behaviour and development in closed spaces;
- - distinguish between open air fires and indoor fires;
- - identify the hazards of backdraft and flashover;
- - understand the use and limits of personal protective equipment in structural fires;
- - explain the specific use of equipment and water as an extinguishing agent;
- - explain the concepts, principles and theory of basic indoor fire techniques;
- - observe the indicators of fire development at structural fires;
- - use attack techniques in different scenarios;
- - enter closed space areas which are on fire;
- - use fire extinguishing techniques in a safe way.
Who should attend?
This course would be beneficial to firefighters with basic skills who would like to improve their knowledge of firefighting procedures.
Course participants must:- possess basic technical skills (be certified in the use of respiratory protective equipment);- be physically capable of performing strenuous work during the performance of the practical training sessions and therefore meet the medical requirements of their Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ);- be proficient in English, German, Slovenian, Croatian or Serbian.